Nurses House History & Photos

In 1922, Nurses House began when Emily Bourne left $300,000 in her will, stipulating that it be used to provide a place where nurses, ill or exhausted, could come to rest between cases. Although she wasn't a nurse, Mrs. Bourne thought highly of nurses. With the money, a stately, beach-front mansion was purchased. The house could hold up to 60 residents at any given time.

Nurses House was often filled to capacity during the busy summer months, as accommodations were peaceful, restful and provided privacy. Nurses who came to rest were referred to as “guests,” and this term is still used today. Meals were said to be outstanding, enjoyed by all the guests during group dining.

Nearly four decades later, as a result of changing socio-economic times, the governing body of Nurses House realized that nurses really needed short-term financial assistance to get back on their feet in their own communities. In 1959, the Bourne home was sold to create a fund, the only national charitable foundation dedicated to helping nurses in need.

Though Nurses House is no longer a physical place of respite, it continues to meet Bourne’s mission of helping nurses when they need it most.

Click here to read stories about some of the nurses who have been helped by Nurses House. Follow these links to read about some recent fund-raising ideas or ways to support the work of Nurses House.

View of Nurses House gardens   Guest relaxing in her room at Nurses House
Expansive grounds provided many opportunities for activities and relaxation   Guest relaxing in a Nurses House bedroom

 

The Nurses House buidling and garderns

The Nureses House grounds in winter with lovely trees and snow

Web site designed by Roger Lipera